Alcoholism and Raising Children -

Here's a great discussion over at Sober recovery--raising the little rascals around the program. I raised my daughter going to meetings because as she was growing up, I was growing up in the program.  She's often mentioned that she didn't have the best upbringing--and I can admit that--I was crazy my first 20 years of recovery--<grin,> but true. In any case, she is very lucky that I was in recovery, as lacking as that was for her childhood. If I had raised her drunk and stoned, she wouldn't be raised at all.

For those of you raising kids in your own recovery, use this as a resource.  And enjoy the holidays--don't let the disease of alcoholism steal one more moment of your family happiness.

Alcoholism and Raising Children - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information: "Some of the coolest kids I've ever met were raised in and around the Program.
I met an old Hopi woman one time who was talking to me about children. It was in something she said that changed me as a parent. During WWII, she fostered a girl who still lived with them in the late eighties when I was there. She said the parents were drunks and didn't take care of their children, so some elder women from the clan came in and took some of them into their own homes. She said she went to the Elder women and chose a particular girl she'd dreamed about. She told them, "I will take this girl and raise her for The People."
Something about the way she said that hit me like a wet dishrag."

'via Blog this'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your comments with others. share your experience and your thoughts. It helps others when you post something.

About This Site

  From Samsa: Title: Overdose Awareness Day Date and Time: August 31, 2022, 6:30 p.m. (EST) Location: American University Sponsor: Dep...